January 21, 1:30 pm
Shane Thomson, CFA
Technical Trading Score*:
Date Of Inception:
Bitcoin is a decentralized coin enabling
revolutionary means to exchange value across the
globe. It continues to be the biggest and most
influential coin, encouraging peer-to-peer payment
networks powered by its users with no central or
Page 1 of 8
POW or POS:
Current Mining Fee (USD):
January 21, 2019
All figures in USD$, unless otherwise specified
LOG IN TO VIEW
Trading History YTD:
• After spiking to a near-term high at the end of the first week of January, BTC
dropped sharply during the second week of the year and has been
rangebound between US$3,600 and US$3,750 since.
■ Current Environment:
• While it experienced some sharp movements both up and down last week, BTC
remained relatively range bound between US$3,600 and US$3,750 last week,
trading slightly lower at US$3,578 at time of print.
• While it may still seem volatile, BTC’s price volatility is actually down 98% year
over year looking back to the third week of January 2018.
• Volumes increased last week, averaging 1.5 million coins per day.
■ General Cryptocurrency News:
• Crypto payments processor BitPay processed over $1 billion worth of
transactions in 2018. BitPay’s new customers from last year include Dish
Networks and the state of Ohio, which became the first state to allow taxes to be
paid in bitcoin.
• A group of academics led by MIT and Stanford are teaming up to create a new
digital asset called Unit-e, which aims to be a faster version of bitcoin while
■ BTC News:
• Advances continue in the bitcoin futures market as Bakkt makes its first
acquisition, acquiring “certain assets” belonging to Rosenthal Collings Group, an
independent futures commission merchant. The acquisition will allow Bakkt to
improve its risk management and treasury operations.
• BTC will now be available in grocery stores in the U.S. with supermarket kiosk
chain Coinstar allowing consumers to buy up to $2,500 BTC in select grocery